It's been a while. The days just seem to race by faster and faster!
Weekends currently consist of soaking up the sun at Long Beach and then exploring restaurants in Astoria (Queens) on our way home, or wandering around little villages tucked away in the woods of upstate New York enjoying the refreshing effect of leafy green nature.
My weeks are still the same old, same old: working for the SBS, taking classes towards an Image Consulting Certificate, being chased through Central Park by my friend and personal trainer Chris, and either taking or giving class at the Union Square studio.
In all honesty it took me some time to feel really comfortable at Union Square studio. Why? What’s the difference to my “old” yoga centre, on the Upper East Side? That place had been my safe haven in NY. It represented a sanctuary I could escape to if the city got a bit overwhelming and home a bit crowded (It’s a 1 bedroom flat with 40m2, so it’s easy for 2 to be a crowd at times). USQ centre is larger than my old studio; it’s always bustling with life and intense energy. Even if you ensconce yourself in one of the two private healing rooms, the walls are so thin you still perceive the comings and goings of the outside world. I’ve gotten used to the energy of the centre, it’s hustle and bustle, to the point that I embrace it now.
I realised that I was stuck in a mind set of unconsciously resisting change and needed support to go forward. Master Shavon (pronounced like the Irish name Siobhan) offered private sessions and has been very effective in helping to identify (self-absorbed / ego-based) habits as well as ways to let them go and move on. Here’s a simple example, to make it less abstract:
The 3 main desires of the ego are (1) security, (2) recognition and (3) control. I discovered that I had been tripping myself up (mentally) over the first and third point, security and control. The loss of my “safe base” (i.e. my old studio) provoked deep, unacknowledged feelings of resentment (part of me was ok with it, another part kept trying to hold a grudge against those who “took my studio” from me). Once I recognised that I felt destabilised (due to loss of security and control) I could consciously accept that fact and take a clear look at why I was so shaky. This process helped eliminate the subconscious war and I could actively choose to accept my feelings, embrace change and move on.
Recognition leads to action.
Here a recap in pictures of the past months, for all those not on facebook *smile*:
April
Barbara and Daniel (from Basel, Barbara studied with M) visited NYC at the beginning of April. It was fabulous seeing them, if somewhat exhausting! We went out partying every day until 4am for their entire 7 day stay. Their visit also coincided with my birthday and it was nice having a bit of "home" there to celebrate with us too.
Here they are drinking cocktails out of teacups at the Back Room, a prohibition-era speakeasy bar hidden in a back alley downtown. Below they are in charge of carving the suckling pig, served at the spectacularly decadent dinner show Queen of the Night.
My birthday started off bright and early (which means noon in NY) with International Pillow Fight Day in Washington Square Park. Basically you go round hitting strangers with a (soft) pillow. Great fun!
Post fight we recharged our batteries back at our place with champagne and cake, before moving on to the restaurant Colicchio & Sons and had an amazing dinner to celebrate.
I started the first module of my Image Consulting Course in April and so far am loving every second of it. It needs 9 completed modules to obtain the certificate, so will probably graduate mid 2016.
May
I staffed as chief volunteer at the American-Swiss Foundation Annual Dinner featuring Joe Jimenez (Novartis). That was an interesting evening, held at the Union League Club. Joe spoke about the current and future challenges of the Pharmaceutical industry as well as US - Swiss relations. I even got a selfie out of it :-)
We finally made it to Philadelphia in May. It's only a couple of hours away from NY and the bus was dirt cheap, so we really had no excuse not to go. It was a beautifully relaxing weekend, we ran the Rocky steps, enjoyed the Rodin museum / garden, strolled round town and had a Philly Cheesesteak (last pic).
Ann stopped over in NY for a couple of days and we visited Harlem for the day. We even got up early in the morning for a church service featuring Gospel. Once I stepped inside the building, I realised that I had not been to church (or any holy religious place) for ages. Took me right back to my altar serving days in Schoenenbuch. I really enjoyed the sermon, especially the congregation's participation with loud vocal calls of "Amen", "You tell 'em" and "Praise be the Lord" every time the pastor paused for breath.
June
Now I know you've seen the pictures on facebook of our trip from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas with Marki and Alex, so will not say much, other than it was one of the most spectacular road trips I've ever been on. I could've stayed a week in every one of the 4 parks we hit (instead of only a day), with my absolute favorite being Zion National Park. Just Go!
Right after our vacation I took a Health Coaching Certificate Course and am proud to say that I am now certified by the Institute of Brain Education, Arizona!
July
The July 4th fireworks were spectacular. We enjoyed the day with a picnic in Long Island City just opposite where the boats were and had prime seats once the show began. Of course we dressed for the occasion too... stars and strips galore!
Come end of July it was time for Julie and Clement to embark on a new adventure in Hong Kong. So we threw them a good bye weekend in Woodstock, Upstate NY. We rented a house from airbnb and just enjoyed a relaxing weekend, binging on ribs & steak and playing jenga. Yannick (the Ambassador's private gourmet chef) even brought along a whole filet mignon and the boys just kept cooking all weekend! What a life :-)
Don't mess with my grill!
We didn't dare! The outcome: Succulent BBQ ribs
The filet mignon
Hot tub on the deck
Boys in the kitchen... slightly dangerous!


